Traditionally a snack in Karnataka, but
excellent as a salad. When my wife and I were on a south beach diet, this was a common meal. We still regularly pack this in lunch bags. This is known as Husli in Karnataka and Shundal in Tamil Nadu.
||Red Cayenne peppers (cut into large pieces)
||Corriander leaves (Cilantro)
- Sprout the lentils. To sprout, wash the lentils and soak in warm water for 3-4 hours. Drain the water, cover the lentils with paper towels and leave it overnight in a dark spot (use an unheated oven).
- Using a big pan, heat up the oil. Then add mustard seeds, hing and red cayenne peppers, stirring until the mustard seeds start popping.
- Add the sprouted lentils and cook on medium heat for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add salt and lemon juice to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.