This is a quick and fast lemon pickle which is ready to eat in a couple of days. In the pre-refrigeration days, the only way to stretch
out your harvest of lemons was to pickle it using salt and oil. Then some genius thought of adding spices to the pickling and voila, the wonderful lemon pickle was created.
This version is a little different. We try to balance taste and health by limiting the salt and oil. But we have refrigeration, so please keep this pickle in the fridge.
Another blasphemous act is to heat the complete mixture. We are forcing the pickling proces by doing so. Also, to simplify the process we are using a ready made masala, but you can easily replace it with red chilli pepper,
||Light salt (If masala does not have salt)
- Wash the lemons in warm water with some dishwashing soap and thoroughly dry (Water is a major enemy in a pickling process)
- Cut the lemons into small pieces (approx 16 pieces per lemon)
- Add 2 table spoons of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and heat.
- When the mustard seeds start popping, add a pinch of asofoetida
- Add the pickle masala and the rest of the oil.
- Add the cut lemons.
- Cook while stirring till the lemons turn hot.
- Let the whole mixture cool down. Put the lemon pickle in a glass sphagetti sauce bottle (again, make sure the bottle is absolutely dry)
- Keep in the refridgerator.