This is the great lentil dish that you find in all the Punjabi dhabas( The roadside eateries).
One of my personal favorites. Good with a roti or a chapati
|2 ½ Cups
||Red Kidney Beans (or two 15 oz. cans)
||Can of tomatoes
||Green chillies slit lenghtwise.
||Onion, finely chopped
||Heavy cream (or ½ cup Yogurt)
- Soak kidney beans for 4-5 hours in warm water and pressure cook it with enough water to cover it (If using cans, rinse beans and boil it in water for 10 minutes)
- Heat oil in a pan and when hot add Cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, green chillies, onion and fry till onions are translucent.
- Add turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder, canned tomatoes, cumin powder, jeera powder and cook for 4-5 minutes. Coarsely grind this mixture.
- Drain excess water from the cooked beans (leaving about a cup of water). Put this in a pan, add the blended mixture, salt, yogurt or cream and cook for a few minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve hot with any kind of roti or chapathi or nan.